Goto (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 18:54:36 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:45 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 30/12/2017 23:26, Gregory Ewing wrote:
>>
>> bartc wrote:
>>>
>>> B and C occur twice, so a goto is a quick way to reuse B and C without
>>> needing to duplicate code,
>>

>> This only works if the repeated part happens to be at the
>> tail of each case.
>

> IME that seems to be the most common situation.

I've written code that uses dirty tricks like that to avoid
duplication. It's at least as much of a problem as actual duplication
is. Generally, the 'goto' solution results in subsequent programmers
(such as my future selves) staring at the code for 30-60 seconds to
figure out what it's doing. I don't like to do that to myself, much
less to people I actually admire and respect.

ChrisA