Goto

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri Dec 29 15:46:14 EST 2017

On 29/12/2017 20:25, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 7:03 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> Rather than ask how to use an unavailable statement (GOTO), why not
>>> investigate why no modern languages use it?
>>

>> Golang uses goto.
>>
>> Lua didn't have goto but then added it.
>>
>> PHP also added goto to a later version.
>
> Ahh, great choice of example. "It's okay - PHP does it."

I don't know PHP, but I guess it has all the usual features that people
can use to eliminate goto (ie. the ability to add extra, more convoluted
code).

So presumably adding it had a net benefit.

Notice I said Lua and Golang also have it.

Adding it to a language doesn't mean people are obliged to use it.

--
bartc