Writing a chess-playing AI like Alphago in Python

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 23 23:29:27 EST 2017

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:20 pm, Cai Gengyang wrote:

> How many lines of code in Python would it take to create a Go-playing AI
> like AlphaGo ? Estimates ?

Somewhere between 1 and 1 billion.

How about you start by telling us:

- do you mean AlphaGo or AlphaGo Zero?

- how many lines of code AlphaGo [Zero] has;

- in what language or languages;

- is Python allowed to call out to libraries written in other
  languages, e.g. machine learning and neural net libraries,
  or databases, or does it have to implement *everything*
  from scratch?

The Michi Go engine uses about 550 lines of Python:

https://github.com/pasky/michi

but I don't believe it does any machine learning.

See also:

https://github.com/rossumai/nochi

https://medium.com/rossum/building-our-own-version-of-alphago-zero-b918642bd2b5

--