Python Learning

Python python at bladeshadow.org
Thu Dec 21 12:46:18 EST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 04:51:09PM -0500, Bill wrote:
> >I'm new to programming, can anyone guide me, how to start learning python programming language,...plz suggest some books also.
> >
> >Thanks all
>
> Are you sure you want to learn Python first?
> Python does enough things "behind the scene"
> that it makes me question the wisdom of that.
> Other points of view are welcome, of course.
> Learning the primitives of C++ first, may make for an easier transition.

This suggestion seems completely backwards to me.  One of Python's
greatest strengths is its relative simplicity, as compared to
lower level languages like C++ or assembly, or even other scripting
languages like Perl (which is comparitively large lexicographically
and syntactically).  Part of the process of learning is being rewarded
for what you have learned; Python does this exceptionally well by
enabling the student to write useful programs with simple syntax in a
very short time.

Pyhon is extremely well suited to teaching basic programming skills
like *using* data structures, flow control, subroutines, etc.
*without* having to grasp more difficult concepts like addressing and
pointers, static typing, low-level data structure implementation, etc..
Those topics would perhaps be better suited to a subsequent course,
once the student has mastered (or at least gained familiarity) with
some of the more introductory concents.