Python: asyncio and Tkinter

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Tue Dec 19 18:42:49 EST 2017

I am looking for an "elegant" and "official" way to use asyncio in
Tkinter applications. The goal is that the GUI is not freezing while
doing some download-tasks (over 100 files from different locations).

I am looking around on the web for solutions but couldn't find one.
Only some workarounds with unknown and possible sideffects.

I asked the same question on StackOverflow with a MWE
<https://stackoverflow.com/q/47895765/4865723>

On my current state I wouuld say there is not an official solution for
this. asyncio and Tkinter are not build to work together without dirty
hacks.

Do you have other informations?

I think about combining asyncio with multithreading so the asyncio
event loop has it's own thread and is not blocking the GUI event loop.
Or using only multithreading.