Python Learning

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 12:31:57 EST 2017

On 18/12/17 16:33, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk>:
>> I haven't often been involved in hiring, but the few times I have we
>> had more applicants than it was feasible to interview.
>
> You don't have to interview them all. Once you encounter an excellent
> candidate, you can close the deal. If you don't, you might lose them.
> You don't have to find the one pearl in a thousand.
>
>> We used CVs as the only thing we had to filter with, looking for
>> *interesting* people.
>
> For a developer position, we use a home assignment as a filter. There's
> no knowing who completes the assignment, but (1) it gives an idea what
> is expected of them and (2) it demonstrates interest from their part.

I believe we have a standard set of C programming questions we throw at
interviewees, on the same principle.

One place I worked at used to request a hand-written cover letter with
applications.  This too was a filter, though not by graphological
analysis as many people assumed (and took umbrage at).  No, we were
testing if you could follow instructions and take some degree of care.
A hastily scribbled piece of paper with lots of crossings out didn't
auger well for how careful you would be with the code base!

>> Exactly what "interesting" meant was somewhat arbitrary; we put one
>> person through to interview because she was a cellist, and that would
>> have given us a complete string quartet (she didn't get the job,
>> sadly).
>
> We want to hire for the job and not bring in extracurricular activities.
>
> However, one great way to stand out is a portfolio of GitHub projects.

Er, isn't that an extracurricular activity?  I certainly don't have time
for it outside work.

> Several people have gotten an offer largely based on those (after they
> aced the technical interviews). For example, we just hired someone who
> had written a game in sed. That doesn't make him an "interesting
> person," nor do we look for game or sed developers. But that silly
> exercise deeply resonated with our team. We expect to have great synergy
> with him.

In other words, you find him interesting because of that.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd