Python Learning

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 12:13:39 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> However, one great way to stand out is a portfolio of GitHub projects.
>>> Several people have gotten an offer largely based on those (after they
>>> aced the technical interviews). For example, we just hired someone who
>>> had written a game in sed. That doesn't make him an "interesting
>>> person," nor do we look for game or sed developers. But that silly
>>> exercise deeply resonated with our team. We expect to have great synergy
>>> with him.
>>
>> I have been excluded from even getting an interview because I did not
>> have a portfolio of GitHub projects. I think that is a bad filter. I
>> work 60-70 hours a week for pay, and I have a family and personal
>> interests.
>
> Maybe not GitHub, but something else. Do you have, anywhere on the
> internet, a list of demo-worthy projects? Again drawing from the
> students I work with, they're encouraged to build an actual portfolio
> web site. Granted, they *are* full stack web developers, so this may
> not be applicable to everyone, but still, it's independent of GitHub.

Nothing I can put on the internet because the work I have done is
either an embedded system or proprietary and used in house for a
company, or part of a commercial project. I do have things I can show
from my machine using my development environment, and I have offered
that up, but for those who want to see something on GitHub it does not
get that far.