ssl.SSLError: [SSL: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL] unknown protocol

Piyush Verma 114piyush at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 04:59:08 EST 2017

Hi Chris, Yes it is HTTPS server. I was debugging and found some relevant
data which may help to identify the problem.

In my Mac OS, I have two version of openssl version installed. default was
/usr/bin/openssl, which i changed to brew installed one.
(virtenv) $ /usr/bin/openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016
(virtenv) $ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.2n  7 Dec 2017

In my python code when I printed the ssl version, python still taking the
system installed ssl version in my Mac OS. I think same problem in my code,
how can I make python to understand to take latest ssl?
import ssl
ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION
'OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016'

Regards,