Python Learning

Bill BILL_NOSPAM at Noway.net
Sun Dec 17 14:51:38 EST 2017

Rustom Mody wrote:

>>> Really ¿?
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_learning#Primacy
>
> On Sunday, December 17, 2017 Bill wrote:
>> You would give precedence to something written on a wikipedia page over
>> your experience?
> Bill also wrote:
>> …in college, the prerequisite of "at least co-enrolled in pre-calc",
>> turned out to be the right one (based upon quite a lot of teaching
>> experience).
> So… I dont understand where you are coming from:
> Is there such a thing as a “learning curve” or not?

The point is that it takes a certain amount of what is referred to as
"mathematical maturity" (not mathematical knowledge) to digest a book
concerning computer programming. In my years of teaching experience,
students who came to college without the equivalent of "college algebra"
were under-prepared for what was expected of them. This is not just an
opinion, it's a fact. Of course, you could argue that a student who
arrives at college needing to take college algebra is of a certain
category. In your words, they are not yet ready to face any sort of
(steep) learning curve.

Bill