Python Learning

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 17 05:36:46 EST 2017

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 14:41:00 +1200, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram):
>
>> Varun R <r.varunrockz at gmail.com> writes:
>>>I'm new to programming, can anyone guide me, how to start learning
>>>python programming language
>>
>>   As a start, one should learn:
>>
>>     1.) how to install Python
>>         (if not already installed)
>>
>>     2.) how to start the Python console
>>         (if not already started)
>>
>>     3.) how to type characters into a line of the
>>         console and how to submit the line (using the Enter key) (if
>>         this is not already known)
>
> A good list. Even more important, though, is the installation, use and
> understanding of a text editor. What is the difference of MS Word,
> Notepad and a Python-aware text editor? What text editors are there?
> What is a newline? What is whitespace? (Advanced: what is a TAB.) What
> is the difference between lower case and upper case? What is trailing
> whitespace? What is an underscore?
> What is the difference between a parenthesis, bracket and a brace?
>
> What is a file? What is a filename? What is a directory/folder? What is
> a pathname? What is a terminal (emulator)? What is standard input? What
> is standard output?
>
> How do I see the listing of files? How do I erase a file? How do I
> rename a file? What is the current working directory? How do I change it
> and why?
>

> Marko

you seem to be moving more into knowledge about the operating system
rather than programming itself.

Still a good pre-requisite you cannot hope to successfully program a
system you do no know how to use

--
Mr Young hadn't had to quiet a screaming baby for years. He'd never been
much good at it to start with. He'd always respected Sir Winston