Python Learning

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Dec 16 07:41:01 EST 2017

ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram):

> Varun R <r.varunrockz at gmail.com> writes:
>>I'm new to programming, can anyone guide me, how to start
>>learning python programming language
>
>   As a start, one should learn:
>
>     1.) how to install Python
>         (if not already installed)
>
>     2.) how to start the Python console
>         (if not already started)
>
>     3.) how to type characters into a line of the
>         console and how to submit the line (using
>         the Enter key) (if this is not already known)

A good list. Even more important, though, is the installation, use and
understanding of a text editor. What is the difference of MS Word,
Notepad and a Python-aware text editor? What text editors are there?
What is a newline? What is whitespace? (Advanced: what is a TAB.) What
is the difference between lower case and upper case? What is trailing
whitespace? What is an underscore? What is the difference between a
parenthesis, bracket and a brace?

What is a file? What is a filename? What is a directory/folder? What is
a pathname? What is a terminal (emulator)? What is standard input? What
is standard output?

How do I see the listing of files? How do I erase a file? How do I
rename a file? What is the current working directory? How do I change it
and why?

Marko