Python Learning

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 17:18:05 EST 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Bill <BILL_NOSPAM at noway.net> wrote:
> Varun R wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm new to programming, can anyone guide me, how to start learning python
>> programming language,...plz suggest some books also.
>>
>> Thanks all
>

> Are you sure you want to learn Python first?
> Python does enough things "behind the scene"
> that it makes me question the wisdom of that.
> Other points of view are welcome, of course.
> Learning the primitives of C++ first, may make for an easier transition.
> Surely this has been discussed before?

On the contrary, that makes Python an *excellent* first language. We
don't force people to learn about the chemistry of petrochemical
combustion before letting them learn how to drive a car; we don't make
people understand TCP/IP networking before they're allowed to type
something into Google. And if you DO want people to start off with a
lower-level language, why C++? Why not machine code (or at least
assembly code), since that's what the CPU actually executes? Or wait -
let's start off by teaching people the electrical engineering that
underlies all of the CPU's operation. And at least a bit of quantum
physics, since that governs stuff once you get to the level of
miniaturization of modern CPUs. No; it's far better to start out by
treating Python as its own thing, powered by magic. Later on, you can
peel back the layers and learn about what's behind everything - at
your own pace.

ChrisA