request fails on wikipedia (https) - certificate verify failed (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Wed Dec 13 09:36:40 EST 2017

On 2017-12-13, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:
>>>
>>> It really is preferable to install standard distro packages where available, rather than resort to pip:
>>>
>>>     sudo apt-get install python3-certifi
>>
>> No, it really really isn't.
>
> This isn't a connected series of statements intended to establish a
> proposition. This is just contradiction. Not very useful here. Care to
> elaborate as to why apt-get is such a bad thing?
>
> Generally, if you're using a system-provided Python (either Py2 or
> Py3) and not using a virtual environment, it's easier and safer to use
> your system-provided package manager to install additional components.
> If you want to argue otherwise, argue it, don't just assert it.

I'll make assertions if I feel like it, especially in response to bare
assertions. System-provided Python has tended to be a disaster and
best kept at bargepole-distance. But regardless, in this specific case
you'll note that the OP is clearly using Windows and therefore any
advice to use 'sudo apt-get' will be less than entirely helpful.