Please tell me how to execute python file in Ubuntu by double

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:41:39 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM, Rick Johnson
> <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>>> Which is why OS/2, back in the 1990s, had *multiple*
>>> associations for any given file. You could use file types
>>> (sadly not MIME types - this was before MIME was the one
>>> obvious standard to use) to identify *any number* of
>>> programs that are likely to be used with a file, and then
>>> one of them is the global default. For any specific file,
>>> you can change which program is its own default, and even
>>> add specific associations for that individual file. When
>>> you double-click, you get the default; if you right-click
>>> and choose "Open", you could pick from the associated
>>> programs. A good system, and one that I still haven't seen
>>> replicated in a mainstream OS.
>>
>> Windows has the same features.
>
> It does? Show me how to specify that one file - which might have the
> exact same name as many similar files - should be associated with a
> different program than the one its name would normally suggest. Show
> me how to identify multiple file types for a given file, independently
> of its filename.

AFAIK that's not currently possible in Windows -- at least not without
writing a custom shell extension. Hypothetically, the shell could
support something like this on NTFS drives by storing a perceived type
(e.g. text, audio, image, video) and lists of ProgIDs (e.g. txtfile,
mp3file, jpegfile, mpegfile) either in a file's extended attributes
(EAs) or an alternate data stream. I think OS/2 used EAs to store file
associations. It's too bad NT's FAT32 doesn't support EAs (unlike
FAT16 on NT, which needed them for the OS/2 subsystem) or alternate
data streams. So an unobtrusive, decentralized approach that works
automatically with existing backup software isn't feasible with FAT32
drives.

That said, I don't see this feature as being very useful compared to
just using "open with" when I occasionally need to open a file with a
non-default program.