Please tell me how to execute python file in Ubuntu by double

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:52:41 EST 2017

Rustom Mody wrote:
> This thread is getting like a mini hologram of our current
> surreal time
 If we can put aside who is right and wrong
> for a moment we see the more frightening spectacle that
> Repubs and democrats, Remainers and Brexiters and so on all
> over
 by getting more and more shrill are not talking to
> each other but past each other

I blame the confirmation bias of social media for the
current state of dissed-discourse we find ourselves in these
days.

> > [Rick Johnson wrote]
> > A file with no extension (regardless of the OS or desktop
> > enviroment that it was created on), is like a sealed box
> > with no label to indicate the contents.
>
> So to Rick:  Not if you use something like file (magic) My
> (unschooled) estimate is it gets its detection right 80% of
> the time

But this suggestion misses my point entirely. And the point
is, we shouldn't have to pick-up the "box" (aka: file) and
shake it (ook-ook) just to "intuit" what is inside. Using
file extentions (aka: labels) solves this semantical problem
much more elegantly. Now, is a perfect solution? Of course
not! However, it is the most practical solution.

> And to Chris and others who think file(magic) is a
> replacement for file-associations. Even assuming that magic
> works 100% :
> Say I have an html file.
> That means its ALSO a text file.
> So its equally legitimate to set defaults to use:
> - a plain text editor (of which there are hundreds)
> - to open it in browser of choice (also plural nowadays)
> - some sort of html composer
> - etc
>
> Which means we are beyond the nature of the file per se to
> the pattern of its usage

And although an automated "intuitor" could easily determine
if a file contained a markup language, we would still be
force to "shake the box" by running it.