Can't install wrapt on Windows

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Mon Dec 11 02:46:56 EST 2017

Cutter <no at spam.com> writes:
> I have trouble installing pylint on Windows 10, Python 3.6. There's a
> problem during the installation of wrapt, which is a dependency of
> pylint.
>
> Here are the contents of the commandline:
>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32>python -m pip install pylint
>> Collecting wrapt (from astroid>=1.5.1->pylint)
>>   Using cached wrapt-1.10.11.tar.gz
>> Installing collected packages: colorama, wrapt, astroid, pylint
>>   Running setup.py install for wrapt ... error
>> Exception:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\compat\__init__.py", line 73, in console_to_str
>>     return s.decode(sys.__stdout__.encoding)
>> UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 51: invalid start byte

Obviously, something causes some "s" to be decoded using the
"stdout" encoding (which usually is the system encoding).
In your case, this encoding is "utf-8", but "s" does not seem to
be utf-8 encoded.

I would use debugging to find out what "s" is, where is comes from
and why it does not use the "stdout" encoding.