Please tell me how to execute python file in Ubuntu by double clicking on file. (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 18:10:07 EST 2017

Rustom Mody wrote:

[...]

> Whether there was nothing wrong in what I did, the "wrong-
> right" was de facto, or de jure… I will leave to more wise
> persons than myself

A file with no extension (regardless of the OS or desktop
enviroment that it was created on), is like a sealed box with
no label to indicate the contents.

And it's not like we can just pick file up and shake
it, in a crude attempt to intuit the contents.

    >>> box.shake(ms=1000, aggression=0.1, log=sys.stdout)
    Hiss

    "What was that?" o_O

    >>> box.shake(ms=3000, aggression=0.9, log=sys.stdout)
    Reeeeeeooooooowwwwww!
    Hissssssss!
    Hiss!

    "Holy crap! O_O

    "Grandma must have gift-wrapped the cat again!"

Granted, the label could be an outright lie or mistake.
However, we can safely assume that outright lies, mistakes,
and even gift-wrapped cats, will be the minority. The vast
majority of file extensions we encounter will be truthful
reflections of the contents.

Unless we're paranoid, of course.

But that's another issue entirely...

Our DEs can deal with lies and mismarked labels on a case by
case basis.