Please tell me how to execute python file in Ubuntu by double clicking on file. (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sun Dec 10 07:24:44 EST 2017

On 10/12/17 07:01, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Steve D'Aprano
> <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 02:01 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> Been a long time since I had an Ubuntu, but is it really the case that
>>> you can't install Ubuntu without a GUI?
>>
>> I mispoke -- I meant something like "they aren't whatever Ububtu GUI the OP
>> has installed".
>>
>> There is, apparently, headless Ubuntu, but it isn't clear to me whether they
>> install X (or Mir, Wayland or some other alternative) or not. E.g. this:
>>
>> https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-gnome-vnc-headless-server/
>>
>> seems to suggest to me that X.org is already installed, I can see X utils
>> being installed as a recommended package but I couldn't spot X being added as
>> a dependency. So my *guess* is that even headless Ubuntu server includes an X
>> server. (Or possibly Mir.)
>
> Or that installing a VNC server automatically installs X11 or
> equivalent. That's what I'd expect, though it's entirely possible that
> a headless server still gets certain libraries installed.

Indeed, VNC pulls in X11: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/vnc4server

If you're interested in what the bare-bones Ubuntu server install
contains, you can look it up here:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-server

In other news: in case you hadn't heard, Mir is dead. Mark Shuttleworth
killed it this summer.