we want python software

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:49:50 EST 2017

Gregory Ewing wrote:

[...]

> To be fair to this person, for someone who has a natural
> aptitude for programming, it can be difficult to appreciate
> how hard it is for people who don't.  When I first started
> programming, in my early teens, the basic ideas all seemed
> very straightforward, and I had no trouble seeing how to
> apply them. I unconsciously assumed it would be the same
> for anyone else with a reasonable level of intelligence.
> It was a while before it became clear to me that this is
> not the case at all.

Indeed. It's not simply a matter of being intelligent
"enough". A prospect must also possess some very specific
innate skills and personality traits. And these attributes
simply cannot be taught. You either have them, or you don't.

That's why these huge advertising campaigns to bring new
folk into the programming arts have been a total flop. I
guess you can teach anybody how to be a code monkey, but
without a bonafide software engineer on the team directing
the Orcestrial Circus (ook-ook!), not much will get done. I
can't imagine how awful it would be to stand over people's
shoulder all day and tell them how to write each and every
line of code. That's not what any software engineer was born
to do. It's just shameful.

--

https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/UAv9UE