csv.DictReader line skipping should be considered a bug?

Jason jasonhihn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 12:20:26 EST 2017

I ran into this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27707581/why-does-csv-dictreader-skip-empty-lines

# unlike the basic reader, we prefer not to return blanks,
# because we will typically wind up with a dict full of None
# values

while iterating over two files, which are line-by-line corresponding. The DictReader skipped ahead many lines breaking the line-by-line correspondence.

And I want to argue that the difference of behavior should be considered a bug. It should be considered as such because:
1. I need to know what's in the file to know what class to use. The file content should not break at-least-1-record-per-line. There may me multiple lines per record in the case of embedded new lines, but it should never no record per line.
2.  It's a premature optimization. If skipping blank lines is desirable, then have another class on top of DictReader, maybe call it EmptyLineSkippingDictReader.
3. The intent of DictReader is to return a dict, nothing more, therefore the change of behavior isn inappropriate.

Does anyone agree, or am I crazy?