How to use a regexp here

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:58:04 EST 2017

On 12/4/2017 11:14 AM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On 12/4/17 9:13 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:
>> Perhaps it's not politically correct for me to say this, but
>> i've never been one who cared much about political
>> correctness, so i'm just going to say it...
>
> Cecil, feel free to ignore the rest of Rick's message.  His messages are
> famous for their outrageous and/or abrasive tone, something he seems to
> revel in.  Luckily, it's not typical of the Python community.

Or take Rick's 'rest' as a suggestion to reread Library Reference
chapters 2, 3, 4 and in particular 4.7.

As for your idea of an RE, '^' matches the beginning of a line, and '$'
the end, though using .startswith, and .endswith, are easier if no other
RE syntax is needed for matching.

--
Terry Jan Reedy