How to use a regexp here

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 12:41:20 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 5:21 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> On 12/4/17 4:36 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> I have a script that was running perfectly for some time. It uses:
>>      array = [elem for elem in output if 'CPU_TEMP' in elem]
>>
>> But because output has changed, I have to check for CPU_TEMP at the
>> beginning of the line. What would be the best way to implement this?
>>

> No need for a regex just yet:
>
>     array = [elem for elem in output if elem.startswith('CPU_TEMP')]
>
> (btw, note that the result of this expression is a list, not an array, for
> future Googling.)
>
> --Ned.
> --

I like Ned's clear answer, but I'm wondering why the original code would fail
because the substring is at the start of the line, since 'in' would still be
true no matter where the desired string is placed.  It would be useful to see
some sample data of the old data, and the new data

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com/blog