Pros and cons of Python sources?

Martin Schöön martin.schoon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 12:55:12 EST 2017

Den 2017-11-29 skrev Martin Schöön <martin.schoon at gmail.com>:
> Den 2017-11-28 skrev Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>:
>> On 28Nov2017 21:23, Martin Schöön <martin.schoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>The reason I think all is not well is the fact that pip list no only
>>>results in a list of packages but at the end of the list (which does
>>>not look complete) there is a bunch of error messages.
>>
>> Please post them. Maybe someone has some insight. (Also post the pip command
>> itself producing the messages.)
>>
> From pip.log:
>
> /usr/bin/pip run on Tue Nov 28 22:54:09 2017
> apptools (4.2.1)
> apt-xapian-index (0.47)
> arandr (0.1.7.1)
> argparse (1.2.1)

<snip>

Problem solved -- I think.

Here is how:

Going through all Python 2.7 packages in Synaptic (this is in Debian)
I marked every package that did not seem to impact anything else
plus python-pip for complete removal and went ahead and removed them.

I then re-installed python-pip and whatever it felt it needed.

After that I ran pip list -- no errors or warnings whatsoever!

Finally I installed packages my laptop has but my desktop box now
was missing. I have not tampered with my laptop so I think it should
be an OK template for my Python packages.

pip list is still OK and what little else I have tested also works.

/Martin (a little wiser regarding Python and pip)