Cannot find IDLE

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 31 09:17:54 EDT 2017

On 8/31/2017 8:46 AM, Yusuf Mohammad wrote:

You must provide much more information to get any help.
Are you installing on a network or an individual machine?
What version of Windows is running, including 32 versus 64 bit?
Do you have admin access to the machine?
What *exact* python installer are you using, including 32 vs 64 bit?
IE, what is the file name of the installer?
Where did you get the installation file?
Note: Python 3.6+ requires Windows Vista or later.  No XP.

> Wont work unfortunately

Are you guessing or did something 'not work'?
If the latter, what exactly did you do and what does 'not work' mean?

> 31. aug. 2017 13:39 skrev "Bear Light" <knon060718 at gmail.com>:
>

>>> How do i install Python in a specific folder with the custom option and be
>> able to use IDLE?
>>
>> After you choose customize install, pick the ”Install for all users”
>> option then you can change the install location.

This works for me and for numerous others.

>> For some reason when Python is installing it stores in Appdata/Local

The reason is that this is the *standard* Windows location for programs
installed for a single user.

>> folder. This is quite weird and when i'm trying to install Python with the
>> custom option to change the location (to Program files (x86)),

32 bit apps go here, 64 bit apps go in /Program files.  If you install
for all users, the default location is one of these.

>> IDLE is not to be found.

IDLE is a collection of Python modules.  Until you can run Python, you
cannot run IDLE.

I believe the installer has an option to install tcl/tk, tkinter, and
IDLE -- not.  I don't know what the standard install does.  If you do a
custom install, make sure the box is checked.

--
Terry Jan Reedy