Reading the documentation

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 24 20:25:55 EDT 2017

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:41 am, bob gailer wrote:

>> Help on built-in function floor in module math:
>>
>> floor(...)
>>      floor(x)
>>
>>      Return the floor of x as an Integral.
>>      This is the largest integer <= x.
[...]

> I was surprised by the use of "integral". A dictionary search does not
> (IMHO) support this usage!

Integral \In"te*gral\, a. [Cf. F. int['e]gral. See Integer.]
   [1913 Webster]
   1. Lacking nothing of completeness; complete; perfect;
      uninjured; whole; entire.
      [1913 Webster]

            A local motion keepeth bodies integral. --Bacon.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. Essential to completeness; constituent, as a part;
      pertaining to, or serving to form, an integer; integrant.
      [1913 Webster]

            Ceasing to do evil, and doing good, are the two
            great integral parts that complete this duty.
                                                  --South.
      [1913 Webster]

   3. (Math.)
      (a) Of, pertaining to, or being, a whole number or
          undivided quantity; not fractional.
      (b) Pertaining to, or proceeding by, integration; as, the
          integral calculus.
          [1913 Webster]

--
Steve