Proposed new syntax

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Aug 24 07:47:19 EDT 2017

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> writes:
> >> Is something wrong with:
> >>
> >>     >>> g = itertools.count().next
>
> It's on all iterators; it's the Py2 equivalent for __next__.

Yeah, when people are talking today about “Python”, unqualified by
version, I think it's a fair assumption that responses can be only
regarding Python 3 unless there's good reason otherwise :-)

So, yes there's something wrong with ‘itertools.count().next’. What's
wrong with it is that it works only on a dead-end Python that everyone
should be busily migrating away from.

(And I see Paul was later made aware of that. So, we all win! :-)

--
 \         “I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I |
  `\       said I didn't know.” —Mark Twain, _Life on the Mississippi_ |