Default .py program and Edit with IDLE problem

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 10:11:28 EDT 2017

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 5:39:19 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> I'm not sure how "refuse to guess" translates into "wipe it
> out and start over". I *never* recommend
> uninstall/reinstall as a first measure. It's a stupid idea
> unless you actually know that it's going to help.

No, what's stupid is spending hours running down non-issues
because you'd rather take random guesses than choose the
easy, practical solution.

I suppose if your library includes many third-party add-ons,
the rebuild process could be more than a few minutes, but
that's the very reason i have elected to keep my dependancy
pool small. For instance, if i need a GUI, i opt for the
stdlib module Tkinter first. Sure, Tkinter is a very basic
library, and sometimes you have to roll your own widgets
(while rolling your eyes!), but if it gets the job done, who
cares!

"Practicality beats purity!"

In the end, even if i'm forced to extend a builtin library
to get some missing functionality, my efficiency is
increased because (1) i don't need to corral a herd of third
party dependencies for distribution or rebuilds, and (2) I
don't need to keep up with the latest changes in multiple
dependencies (which can drastically affect my existing
interfaces and APIs down-stream).

If your goal is to be a hoarding "dependancy herder", then
have fun with that! Meanwhile, i'll be focusing on new
features and functionality. My software design philosophy is
to be lean and mean. If we don't moderate ourselves, cruft
has a way of piling up very quickly.