Proposed new syntax

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 01:42:04 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Steve D'Aprano
<steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> Indeed. People find imperative (recipe) algorithms easy to follow, and pure
> functional reasoning hard. I'm glad that functional programming is fashionable
> again, and hope that people will learn good habits from it, but I think that
> mathematical purity is not necessary or even helpful in the majority of
> programming tasks.
>
> I expect that languages like Haskell, like Scheme and Lisp, will be greatly
> influential but remain niche languages themselves.

Agreed. Functional programming languages teach us about recursion,
immutability, declarative programming styles, etc, all of which are
incredibly useful. I don't particularly enjoy writing Scheme code
(only ever done it because of Lilypond), but I think I'm a better
programmer for having gotten my head around it.

> [1] Assuming that mathematics actually is sound, which thanks to Gödel we know
> is unprovable.

Harmony in audio signals is based on frequency ratios. Therefore sound
is mathematics, and by the reflexive principle of equality,
mathematics is sound. Sorry, Gödel, I just proved it.

ChrisA