Proposed new syntax

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Aug 17 16:20:55 EDT 2017

Pavol Lisy <pavol.lisy at gmail.com>:

> On 8/17/17, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> I don't agree that the word "for" necessarily implies proceduralness.
>
> With this logic (I humbly think that) word "while" neither
> necessarilly implies proceduralness.

I don't see the logic.

Here's a random page from an algebra textbook:

   A sequence {a[n]} is called *bounded* if there is some real number b,
   a *bound*, such that |a[n]| ≤ b for all n.

   Z = {(a) ∈ ℝ**∞ | a[n] = 0 for all but finitely many n }

On another one:

   <χ[i], χ[j]> = 0 if i ≠ j, and <χ[i], χ[j]> = 1 for each i

And:

   For every value a of the variable x, there are at most n points of S
   whose x-coordinate is a.

Marko