Cross-language comparison: function map and similar

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:17:33 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 8:24:46 PM UTC+5:30, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> Over in another thread, we've been talking about comprehensions and their
> similarities and differences from the functional map() operation.
>
> Reminder:
>
> map(chr, [65, 66, 67, 68])
>
> will return ['A', 'B', 'C'].
>
> My questions for those who know languages apart from Python:
>
> Are there language implementations which evaluate the result of map() (or its
> equivalent) in some order other than the obvious left-to-right first-to-last
> sequential order? Is that order guaranteed by the language, or is it an
> implementation detail?

There are dozens of parallel/concurrent languages:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concurrent_and_parallel_programming_languages

> Standard library functions implementing an explicitly "parallel map"
> or "threaded map" are also relevant.

Here's the peach (parallel-each) 'adverb in Q/K
http://code.kx.com/wiki/Reference/peach

In more mainstream languages:
parallel map in Julia
https://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/manual/parallel-computing