Proposed new syntax

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 00:31:19 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 3:57:22 AM UTC+5:30, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
> > That the comprehension
> > syntax *does not* necessarily connote a procedural loop, but instead can
> > quite reasonably be interpreted as its designer intended, a single
> > conceptual operation.
>
> To put it another way: Consider that a comprehension is an expression,

A neat summary of the basis of this whole difference of opinion!

JFTR: Haskell gets its list comprehensions from Miranda.
Technically Haskell and Miranda are much the same in syntax, semantics etc (in
this respect)

However as to the informal discussion-terms around the same there is this difference:
In Miranda the terms used were “list comprehension” as well as
“ZF expression” (ZF standing for Zermelo, Fraenkel who formulated the
comprehension axiom(s) ) with a slight preference for the latter.

I have generally preferred “ZF expression” because as I said earlier
“comprehension”, in this context, is meaningless (in English).

Seeing this discussion, I feel the other part – “expression” – which I never
paid attention to so far! – is probably as or more important.