Proposed new syntax

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Mon Aug 14 04:56:15 EDT 2017

Paul Rubin writes:

>> Jussi Piitulainen writes:

>>> But what is "set comprehension" in French, German, or Finnish?
>
> The idea comes from set theory: for some reason English Wikipedia
> doesn't have Finnish cross-wiki links for most of the relevant terms,
> but Google translates "axiom of specification" as "Määritelmän axiom".
> Maybe you can find something from there.

Most of the relevant pages are missing in the Finnish Wikipedia.

However, I did find there a nice name for this axiom schema based on yet
another of its many names: "erotteluskeema" ("schema of separation").
<https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joukko-oppi> I like that.

Marko's Finnish suggestion, "koonta", is related to the relevant sense
of "comprehension", while his "gleaning" and "culling" relate to
"separation".

Python's "comprehensions" do both "separation" and "replacement"
(another axiom schema), aka filtering and mapping.