wrote a commodore-64 emulator using just Python

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 13 09:50:59 EDT 2017

Hi,

As another experiment with using just tkinter for graphics, this time I created a
Commodore-64 emulator. You can find it here https://github.com/irmen/pyc64
You only need the pillow library to be able to run this. I guess most people have that
one already anyway.

It works pretty well :)   (although having some slight speed/timing issues on windows)

Now, it's not a "true" emulator: obviously it doesn't simulate the C64 on a hardware
level. It does however implement enough to load and run simple basic programs that can
show interesting PETSCII pictures by manipulating the colors and characters on the screen.

And perhaps you can think of doing some other silly things because part of the BASIC
dialect is just executed using eval() in python. What about hooking this up as a ssh
client to get access to your server in a way nobody thought possible? :-P
There's also https://github.com/mnaberez/py65 so... possibilities?

Fun fact: emulator source is smaller than 64KB

Cheers
Irmen.