Proposed new syntax

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Aug 12 11:58:48 EDT 2017

Jussi Piitulainen <jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi>:

> But what is "set comprehension" in French, German, or Finnish?

The comprehension principle has to do with the assumption in Naive Set
Theory that for any logical predicate, there is a corresponding set. To
put it in plain English, every adjective is equivalent to a collection
and vice versa.

[I'm sure you know this, Jussi, but not everybody might.]

The Finnish Wikipedia entry uses the term "abstraktioskeema" (Engl.
"abstraction scheme", <URL:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joukko-oppi#Aksiomaattinen_joukko-oppi>).
I have not heard that term before, and Google doesn't find other hits
for it.

Myself, I might propose the word "koonta" as a simple Finnish
translation for "comprehension".

Marko