cpython version

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 10:24:06 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For the first time in my 30+ year career I am, unfortunately, working
>>> on Windows.  A package I need, rpy2, comes in various flavors for
>>> different cpython versions:
>>>
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp27‑none‑win32.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp27‑none‑win_amd64.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp34‑none‑win32.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp34‑none‑win_amd64.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp35‑none‑win32.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.7.8‑cp35‑none‑win_amd64.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.8.6‑cp35‑cp35m‑win32.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.8.6‑cp35‑cp35m‑win_amd64.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.8.6‑cp36‑cp36m‑win32.whl
>>> rpy2‑2.8.6‑cp36‑cp36m‑win_amd64.whl
>>>
>>> I am running python version 2.7.13. How can I find out my cpython version?
>>
>> Never mind - not enough sleep or coffee. Obviously cp27 for python 2.7.
>
> Correct. I'd take it one further, though, and suggest that you
> shouldn't need to match it yourself; just use pip to download and
> install the right wheel. It'll match versions, architectures, and
> anything else it needs to match.

Problem is that rpy2 will not install with pip. It gets:

Error: Tried to guess R's HOME but no command 'R' in the PATH.

Even though R's HOME is in the PATH.

Googling this I found it's a very common problem, with no solution I
could find. I finally found a post by the author of rpy that says
"There is no official support for Windows,". and he refers people to
this site http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#rpy2 that has
'unofficial and unstable' prebuilt windows binaries for it.

If anyone is interested as to why I am embarking on this very
unpleasant task, I have a django app that runs in linux. I have
successfully deployed it with Docker, vagrant/VirtualBox, VMware, kvm,
and on bare metal. But now I have prospective client that refuses to
run linux, even in a VM. So I am tying to get my app running on
Windows Server 2016, piece by painful piece.