Proposed new syntax

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 08:05:51 EDT 2017

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 5:25:43 PM UTC+5:30, Peter Otten wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > [ My conjecture: The word ‘comprehension’ used this way in English is
> > meaningless and is probably an infelicious translation of something which
> > makes sense in German]
>
> The meaning of comprehension is probably closer to "comprise" than
> "comprehend".
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/comprise
> """
> ...from Latin comprehendere...
>
> ...To be made up of; to consist of...
> """

Yeah… I guessed something like that

1,2,3,4
is ‘just’ a set
which, when we put brackets round them
{1,2,3,4}
is, well, 'comprised' :-)

Sounds silly… Less so if we say it as “The set comprising of…"

[In all probability when Zermelo/Fraenkel were doing their stuff
they did not really distinguish between what today python calls
a set-literal and a set-comprehension]