Proposed new syntax

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 10:45:14 EDT 2017

On 08/10/2017 11:29 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:54 pm, Mikhail V wrote:
>
>> but at a first glance, "while" reads as "if" as in english.
>
> In English the two words don't mean the same thing.
But actually in some contexts they really do seem to mean the same thing:

Make hay while the sun shines.
If it's sunny, make hay.

Essentially the same meaning, though we can argue whether "while"
implies some kind of long-running activity that the if does not.
Particularly people who are learning English may not even see the
difference between while and if as far as a logical statement, similar
to the ones above, goes.

> That's why
>
> if foo:
>

> and
>
> while foo:
>

> are different.

In computer languages, sure.  Spoken language is certainly not so clear cut.