pip requirements file

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Aug 4 22:56:37 EDT 2017

On 08/04/2017 07:46 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

>>    pip freeze
>>
>> will output a list of current packages and their requirements.  I have one
>> package that falsely [1] lists another package as a requirement, which was
>> blocking installation as the false requirement wasn't available.
>>
>> Is there a way to modify that output (which would be piped to, for example,
>> requirements.txt) to have
>>
>>    pip install -r requirements.txt
>>
>> so pip ignores that one (and only that one) dependency?
>
> I'd just edit the file afterwards and delete the line. But if the
> package claims to need PyXML, it'll still be installed.

Exactly my point.  Is there any way, requirements.txt or otherwise, to tell pip to ignore what a certain package is
claiming it needs?

I am aware of --no-dependencies, but that (I think) is an all-or-nothing approach, whilst [1] I desire an all-except-one
approach.

--
~Ethan~

[1] I blame words like 'whilst' on my new Paperback game by Tim Fowler.  The Smarter-AI uses words from Middle-English
(!) and spellings not seen for at least 300 years!  But hey, my vocabulary is (uselessly) expanding!