first code attempt

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:17:38 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 7:22:56 PM UTC-5, boB Stepp wrote:

> You might want to consider joining the Python Tutor list
> (https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor).  This is meant for
> newcomers to Python who have a lot of basic questions.

I would second that advice. However, i would also urge the
OP to lurk, listen and participate in this group as much as
possible. Simply asking questions is not the path to
enlightenment, no, one must learn to swim with sharks and
run with wolves is one is become competent in any field of
expertise. Self confidence and communication skills are just
as important as technical skills and library/interface
memorization.

> This list is more oriented towards already competent Python
> programmers who tend to go off on interesting technical
> tangents.  ~(:>))

Not _always_ interesting (unless i'm participating ;-)[1], but
most of the time, yes. And such a diverse range of ideas and
topics can only be fostered in a forum that maintains a deep
respect for the freedom of speech. Which is why this open
forum is so vital to the Python community. Exposure to
diverse forms of knowledge is the _key_ to becoming a
proficient problem solver.

[1] As per Rick's "Theory of Subjectivity"[2]

[2] But let's not go off on that tangent...[3]

[3] At least, not today O:-)