OrderedDict with kwds

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Apr 23 00:17:53 EDT 2017

Albert-Jan Roskam <sjeik_appie at hotmail.com> writes:

> The basic problem is that kwds is a regular, unordered dict […]

(Albert, you are probably aware that the above passage is not what you
wrote. But your message shows it indistinguishable from your other text.

Please teach your email client to compose quoted material using
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Quoted_line_prefix> the
conventional line prefix of “> ” — and, if your email client can't be
taught to do that in plain text, please choose a better email client.)

> Yes, I realized this later that evening (probably thanks to can of
> cold beer :-)). But there is hope:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0468/ . Do you know if there
> is/will be a "from __future__" to backport that behavior? We're using
> Python 3.5 now.

The ‘__future__’ features are language features, and like other features
they do not get added retro-actively to an already released Python
version. So, Python 3.5 has a set of ‘__future__’ features that are the
only ones that will ever be in Python 3.5.

When a feature is added to ‘__future__’ it is to introduce a
backward-incompatible feature gradually, and like any feature is always
added as part of the development of Python versions. So, new features in
‘__future__’ will only appear in *not yet released* Python versions.

<URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/__future__.html>

In short: To get the changed behaviour, you need a newer Python version.

--
 \         “If you don't want your beliefs to be ridiculed, don't have |
  `\            such ridiculous beliefs.” —Greta Christina, 2011-10-22 |