Bigotry (you win, I give up)

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Apr 21 04:11:47 EDT 2017

Op 20-04-17 om 17:25 schreef Rustom Mody:
> But more importantly thank you for your polite and consistent pointing out to
> Ben Finney that his religion-bashing signature lines [many of them] and his
> claims to wish this list be welcoming are way out of sync.

I don't know. I think a concept like welcoming is too complex, to draw such
simple conclusions. First of all we have to make a choice about the public we
want to be welcoming to. I'm rather confident we can agree we don't want to
be welcoming to bigots on this list.

Then feeling welcome is not a boolean, people can feel welcome to a different
degree and there are many factors at work. If people tend to react in a friendly
manner to there co-participants, people generally should feel welcome. A statment
in a signature that isn't addressing anyone personnaly may give rise to some
irritation but shouldn't make this list feel unwelcome to someone.

Do you think critising any idea in one's signature is enough to conclude that
this person doesn't wish this list to be welcoming?

--
Antoon.