Bigotry (you win, I give up)

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 14:21:54 EDT 2017

On 04/19/2017 08:27 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Rurpy via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:
>
>> You and Chris refused to find any fault with the use of the two
>> stereotypes under discussion one of which was "unable-to-learn old
>> people".
>
> I expressed absolutely nothing on that topic, so I didn't “refuse to
> find any fault”. To claim “you said that is okay” is a bald untruth, I
> said no such thing.
>
> You are pointing to *absence of a statement* on a topic and claiming
> that it is a “refusal to find any fault”.

Rereading your post, I agree, you did not say anything at all about
the old-people-cant-learn stereotype.

So I apologize for saying you were ok with that.

> By that logic, you have also “refused to find fault with” my neighbour's
> mistreatment of their child. How horrible of you!

No, not by that logic at all.  Never once did you mention your
neighbor or their child in the thread offering me the opportunity
to comment.  I mentioned both stereotypes in every post I made
(at least where I mentioned either one explicitly).

> Except, that's not a claim I would make of you. I'll thank you not to do
> the same of others.

Yes, I will try to be more careful in the future.

So at this point, you made a single attempt to claim there was
no stereotyping based on national origin, a claim I refuted here [*1]
and perhaps more clearly here [*2] neither of which there was a reply to.

And you explicitly acknowledge effectively a "no comment" response
regarding an offensive a stereotype based on age?  Is that a fair
statement?

So is it not fair to conclude that bigotry through the use of
stereotypes in contravention of the CoC/Diversity statement is ok
here at least under some circumstances:

 * When the offender is a frequent or popular participant
 * When the stereotype agrees with a prejudice of most of participants
   here.

I repeat what I said in my first post [*3]:

  "if you are going to have a CoC, it must be applied even-handedly."

----
[*1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-April/721281.html
[*2] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-April/721388.html
[*3] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-April/721233.html