Rawest raw string literals

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 12:40:21 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-20, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 April 2017 at 17:59, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-04-20, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Quite often I need raw string literals for concatenating console commands.
>>> I want to input them exactly as they are in python sources.
>>>
>>> There is r"" string, but it is obviously not enough because e.g. this:
>>> s = r"ffmpeg -i  "\\server-01\D\SER_Bigl.mpg" "
>>
>>    s = r'ffmpeg -i  "\\server-01\D\SER_Bigl.mpg" '
>>
>> Does that do what you want?
>
> Yes but it still needs to watch out if there is no ' inside or vice
> versa with " characters if use r"". I would like a universal
> solution.

IOW, you want something that just reads your mind.

How can there exist a "universal solution" even in theory?

There has to be some sort of "end of literal" terminator character
sequence.  That means there has to be some sort of escaping mechanism
when that "end of literal" sequence appears in the literal itself.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I brought my BOWLING
                                  at               BALL -- and some DRUGS!!