Bigotry (you win, I give up)

Rurpy rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 22:01:48 EDT 2017

On 04/19/2017 01:56 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Rurpy via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:
>
>> I don't think stupid black people or senile old people should be
>> allowable because those are not choosable *behaviors*. But is
>> unable-to-learn old people a choosable behavior? You said that's ok.
>
> No, I didn't say that's okay, and I'm not aware of Chris saying it.

You and Chris refused to find any fault with the use of the two
stereotypes under discussion one of which was "unable-to-learn
old people".  You defended a poster's use of those stereotypes.
That is fairly described as "being ok with".

> At this point you've been reading far too much into what isn't there,
> and now you're just flatly stating untruths.

Per above it was not an untruth and you are flatly stating an
untruth by claiming it was.

>> Again, I'd really appreciate it if you could clarify.
>
> Bigotry against people for innate traits is not okay.'

That's not clarifying, that's repeating.  I asked some specific
questions that you are not answering, for example, which of the
stereotypes in the list I gave are you ok with and which are you
not?

Nor is your criteria a very useful given that for many "traits"
there is not widespread scientific consensus on whether they are
innate (genetic?), cultural, or consciously adopted.
The boundary between cultural and conscious is also very fuzzy.

> Demanding special respect for a class of ideas is not okay.

People are not distinct from their ideas.  People internalize
ideas and their ideas form part of their identity.  When deeply
held, we tend to call them beliefs rather than ideas.
Thus disrespecting or attacking some ideas is tantamount to
attacking the person, at least in the person's view if not your's.

This is why you cannot create a forum where no offense is given
to anyone.  The best you can try to do is try to find some tradeoff
that balances freedom of expression and offense.

Using stereotypes greatly increases the likelihood of offense.
I gave a number of reasons why previously and which I refer you
back to. [*1]

One particular one I'll reiterate: it doesn't help to say "I
mean only the bad ones", the stereotype WILL get applied far
beyond the scope you may intend.  When you say "ugly americans",
the "americans" part creates an implicit contrast with other
nationalities and implies that somehow americans are more
ugly than people of other nationalities.  Yet you have no
real evidence of that.  There does not even exist a definition
of uglinesss in a quantitative sense let alone any metrics
of the number of uglies of any nationality.[*2]  So you
accuse millions of people of an offense with nothing to
back it up other than some generalized (and informed by bias)
feelings it is true.  Given that most americans, like people
of any other nationality, don't see themselves as ugly, you
offend a large number of people some of whom will dispute your
claim.  Do you want that discussion on the Python list?

This is also why I drew the parallel to the African-American
criminal stereotype which, at least in the US, is widely
recognized as racist and harmful the entire African-American
community even though there are some (disputed) statistics
defenders of the stereotype can resort to.  In your case, you
don't even have that.

Now I'm the one who is starting to repeat things so I will
leave it at that.

> Wringing your own impression out of people's words, and then claiming
> that's what they said, is not okay.

We've established above that that did not happen.

> I hope that clarifies.

No, sorry.

----
[*1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-April/721281.html
[*2] I am sure there is research that addresses this issue but
 I doubt there is widespread consensus on its consistency or
 applicability.  Regardless, research is seldom used validly
 in the employment of stereotypes and even less so in the
 understanding of the stereotype by the recipients.