Python and the need for speed

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 10:35:04 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:46 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> You'd be surprised how easy it is to be non-OS-neutral.
>
> It's not so simple. By OS-neutral I mean code that doesn't depend on special
> features of either OS (Ie. Windows and Linux). Not conditional code that
> does either Windows stuff or Linux stuff.

Which means, therefore, that you either can't have any file system
facilities, or must transparently expose them to the application. You
also will have a lot of trouble making cross-platform subprocess
functionality. Even sockets, which are notionally the same on all
platforms, have a lot of little differences.

To be truly OS-neutral, you basically have to be either nerfed to
nothing, or so thin you're doing nothing.

ChrisA