Bigotry and hate speech on the python mailing list

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 18 01:54:17 EDT 2017

Wildman via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:

> "The seriousness of the charge mandates that we investigate
> this. Even though there is no evidence, the seriousness of
> the charge is what matters."
>   --Tom Foley (D) Speaker of the House

That sounds right to me, provided one reads “there is no evidence” as a
statement about what evidence is present before anyone goes looking for
it (“there is no evidence we are yet aware of”).

In other words: before any evidence exists and before the investigation
is made, it's a mistake to reach any conclusion about the truth of the
charge.

--
 \     “I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much |
  `\   as a week sometimes to make it up.” —Mark Twain, _The Innocents |