Looping [was Re: Python and the need for speed]

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 16 22:00:06 EDT 2017

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 05:49 am, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 02:48:08 +1000, Steve D'Aprano
> <steve+python at pearwood.info> declaimed the following:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 11:57 pm, bartc wrote:
>>
>>> But people just don't want it.
>>
>>Damn straight. Now you get it. It's not about how easy it is to implement,
>>it's about whether it is needed and wanted. It isn't needed, and it isn't
>>wanted.
>>

> Let's go all the way, and just get rid of "while <cond>".

Sure, why not? If it's your language, you can make it as minimalist or
maximalist as you like. You get to choose.

Python's not your language, so it's not your choice for Python. But you can
always create your own language and implement as many or as few features as
you like.

Guido likes while loops with a condition, and Python is Guido's language.

And of course, since Python has had while loops with a condition for over 20
years now, backwards compatibility precludes removing it.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.