Looping [was Re: Python and the need for speed]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:22:40 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> Technically, adding this one feature to Python /is/ trivial, for example,
> allowing while: as a synonym for while True:, but preferably using a new
> keyword such as loop. Nothing else needs to be touched. And it could have
> been done right at the start when the politics was simpler.
>
> But people just don't want it.
>
> /That/ is what surprises me, when people reject things that to me are
> no-brainers.

Maybe it's not a no-brainer to them. Maybe you need to make the case that:

1) It's worth stopping people from using the word "loop" as a variable
2) It's worth documenting another type of loop
3) It's worth having everyone need to know how to read another type of loop

What's the benefit, aside from avoiding discussions like this?

ChrisA