"Goto" statement in Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 05:08:40 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am in the category "I just want to express some
> algorithm and don't want to learn every year new concepts".
> I tend to think that extremely restricted syntax, in the sence
> of having only few flow control instructions actually helps with
> readability, despite I have never seriously used other languages
> than python so I cannot judge GOTO specifically.
> [...]
> Seriously, when I open some random .py file from the web
> and everywhere see class, class, class, kilometers of indentation...
> Hair around one-liners all over the files.
> And hedgehogs of try: except blocks, well, this is
> straining, and trying to learn why I need
> some of those, multiplies the pain.
> So your comment applies to me too and I must sound
> like an old stupid man I suppose?

You sound more like someone who's never grown beyond a one-man
project. Most of us understand code primarily as a tool for
communicating between humans, and secondarily for the computer to
execute. And you most definitely sound like someone who thinks in the
concrete, not in the abstract. These constructs are to express human
concepts, even though they take a lot of low-level tools to make them
up.

ChrisA