Python and the need for speed

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 14:21:50 EDT 2017

On 04/13/2017 08:13 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 07:56 pm, bart4858 at gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>> (** Although I find code full of class definitions, one-liners, decorators
>> and all the other esoterics, incomprehensive. I'm sure I'm not the only
>> one, so perhaps readability isn't too much of a priority either.)
>
> [...] You sound like an old man who
> complains about this new-fangled "telephone", and how things were so much
> better when we had messenger boys to deliver messages anywhere in the city.

This is the second time in two weeks that I have seen an offensive
stereotype presented in this list.  Last time it was "ugly americans".

For those (who've been living under a rock) that are unaware, the
stereotype of the "old person" who can't understand or adapt to new
technology is a very vile one that many believe is in large part
responsible for the high unemployment rate of over-50's in the US,
along with their positions near the tops of lay-off lists.  This
form of bigotry is called "ageism".

There are plenty of ways to use the english language to make your
point (that people often prefer that which they're familiar with)
without employing hateful stereotypes directed at a specific groups
of people.

Given that this is the second time in two weeks, I publicly ask the
list moderators to invoke whatever procedures they use to deal with
bigotry on this list.